By Mary Ann Beavis
This monograph specializes in "Christian Goddess Spirituality" (CGS), the phenomenon of (mostly) girls who mix Christianity and Goddess Spirituality, together with Wicca/Witchcraft. Mary Ann Beavis’s research presents ethnographic info and research at the lived non secular adventure of CGS practitioners, drawing on interviews of over a hundred ladies who self-identify as combining Christianity and Goddess spirituality. even supposing CGS additionally has implications for Goddess Spirituality and comparable traditions (e.g., Neopaganism, Wicca), right here, CGS is taken into account basically as a phenomenon inside of Christianity. even if, the learn additionally indicates that the fusion of Christian and Goddess spiritualties has had an impression on non-Christian feminist spirituality, considering that Goddess-worshippers have usually developed Christianity because the diametrical contrary and enemy of the Goddess, to the purpose that a few refuse to confess the chance that CGS is a legitimate religious direction, or that it really is even attainable. In addition, biblical, Jewish and Christian images of the divine similar to Sophia, Shekhinah, the Virgin Mary, or even Mary Magdalene, have chanced on their manner into the "Pagan" Goddess pantheon.
The major subject matters of the research contain: overlaps and alterations among Christian feminist theology and CGS; the routes to CGS for person practitioners, and their ideals, practices and reports; proto-denominational classifications ("spiritual paths") inside CGS; CGS thealogy (Christian discourse concerning the girl divine); and the way forward for CGS in social clinical and ecclesiological context. Christian Goddess Spirituality will be of curiosity to students of faith, in particular people with pursuits in ladies and faith, feminist spiritualities, feminist theology/thealogy, substitute spiritualities, New spiritual routine, and emergent Christianities.
Read or Download Christian Goddess Spirituality: Enchanting Christianity (Gender, Theology and Spirituality) PDF
Similar christianity books
Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica was once some of the most well known non secular publications of Serbia within the 20th century. As a amateur he lived in obedience to Elder Ambrose of Miljkovo Monastery, a disciple of the Optina Elders. From him Fr. Thaddeus discovered the Prayer of the center and the selfless love that got here to symbolize his entire ministry to the affliction Serbian humans.
In today’s pluralistic society, no longer each method of sharing the gospel will paintings with every person. Being able to supply purposes for the wish we've in Christ ability figuring out the contextual framework of the folk we're addressing.
In the Holman QuickSource advisor to Christian Apologetics, Renaissance guy Doug Powell defends the Christian religion in a brand new key; taking timehonored methods in apologetics and freshly proposing them for a brand new iteration.
The Sacred barren region is a mirrored image at the position of the wasteland in theology, heritage, literature, paintings and picture. An unique mirrored image at the position of the wasteland in theology, historical past, literature, paintings and movie. Discusses figures as diversified as Jesus, the early Christian desolate tract Fathers, T. E. Lawrence, T.
Apokatastasis (restoration) is an important patristic doctrine stemming from Greek philosophy and Jewish-Christian Scriptures. Ramelli argues for its presence and Christological and Biblical beginning in lots of Fathers, analysing its which means and improvement from the delivery of Christianity to Eriugena.
- HISTORICAL JESUS, VOLUME 4 (Critical Concepts in Religious Studies)
- The adventures in the Odyssey
- Being the Chosen: Exploring a Christian Fundamentalist Worldview
- Catholics in Britain and Ireland, 1558–1829 (Social History in Perspective)
- The Oxford Dictionary of Saints
Additional info for Christian Goddess Spirituality: Enchanting Christianity (Gender, Theology and Spirituality)
36. The Religious Roots of CGS Ibid. Ibid. Ibid. , 112–13. , 113. , 113–14. , 114. Ibid. , 96. , 114. , 90. For example, Starhawk, Dreaming the Dark: Magic, Sex and Politics (Boston: Beacon, 1982, 1988), 187, notes that “estimates of the actual number of Witches executed range from 100,000 to 9,000,000” (citing feminist theologian Rosemary Radford Ruether, New Woman, New Earth: Sexist Ideologies and Human Liberation [New York: Seabury, 1975], 11). , 186. Asphodel Long, In a Chariot Drawn by Lions: The Search for Female in Deity (Freedom, CA: The Crossing Press, 1993), 310–41.
84. 85. 86. 87. 88. 89. 90. 91. 92. 93. 94. 95. 96. org/. All websites accessed September 20, 2013. Carol P. Christ, “Why Women Need the Goddess: Phenomenologial, Psychological, and Political Reflections,” Womanspirit Rising: A Feminist Reader in Religion (ed. Carol P. Christ and Judith Plaskow; New York: Harper & Row, 1979), 273–86. Christ, “Goddess,” 274, citing Clifford Geertz, “Religion as a Cultural System,” Reader in Comparative Religion (ed. William L. Lessa and Evon V. Vogt; 2nd edn; New York: Harper and Row, 1972), 206.
111. 7. Ibid. 8. Ibid. 36 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. 32. 33. 34. 35. 36. The Religious Roots of CGS Ibid. Ibid. Ibid. , 112–13. , 113. , 113–14. , 114. Ibid. , 96. , 114. , 90. For example, Starhawk, Dreaming the Dark: Magic, Sex and Politics (Boston: Beacon, 1982, 1988), 187, notes that “estimates of the actual number of Witches executed range from 100,000 to 9,000,000” (citing feminist theologian Rosemary Radford Ruether, New Woman, New Earth: Sexist Ideologies and Human Liberation [New York: Seabury, 1975], 11).